This dish strengthens weakness and improves energy and enthusiasm. The warming spices encourage movement of Yang energy, so for those of you who feel the cold this is especially warming and nourishing!
Ingredients: (serves 4-6)
- 1 cup dried chickpeas (soaked overnight and cooked as per instructions)
- OR 1 large tin pre-cooked chickpeas
- 1/2 butternut squash, de-seeded, peeled, cut into chunks
- 3 carrots peeled and sliced
- 2 white onions diced
- 1 large sweet potato peeled and cut into 1” chunks
- half medium turnip peeled and cut into 1” chunks
- 1 dessertspoon ground ginger
- 1+1/2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 2” piece cinnamon stick
- 2 bayleaf, good pinch of sea salt and black pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil or sesame oil
- 2 organic vegetable bouillon stock cubes
- Heat the oil in a large pan. Add diced onions and fry until they become translucent.
- Add the salt, pepper, ground ginger, ground coriander, cinnamon stick and mix thoroughly to release their fragrances.
- Add all the chopped vegetables and mix with spices and onion. Add a large mug of boiled water. Simmer for 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add the pre-cooked chickpeas and mix thoroughly. Adding a further 2 cups of boiled water. Add the bayleaf.
- Crumble the stock cubes into the pot and mix thoroughly.
- Cook for a further 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Alternatively at this point the pot can be transferred to the oven and cooked on gas mark 3/160°C for a further 30 minutes.
- Serve with freshly chopped coriander, well cooked brown rice and lightly steamed kale or cabbage.
Chickpeas contain more iron than other beans & pulses so they’re great for nourishing the Blood.
Cooking this dish slowly in the oven creates a deeper warmth for the body which nourishes the Kidney/Spleen/Stomach energy.
James O’Sullivan from Galway is a credible and engaging speaker, a people friendly practitioner and lecturer of Integrated Medicine, serving his patients, his students and the public with the positive benefits of both Conventional Western Medicine and Traditional Chinese Medicine. He is a respected author and has appeared on many public media. #jamushur