Heart Healthy Soup. It’s nutritious, delicious and flavoursome as well as healthy, and it only takes 30 minutes start to finish. If your looking for Vegan, its fills that box too and its free of gluten. You’ll be happy in a good way after eating this tasty and wholesome soup.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
A quick and easy vegan celery and summer time soup recipe with celery, summer squash, carrots, and fresh herbs. Dairy and gluten free!
- 3 medium summer yellow squash, quartered and diced
- 2 celery ribs (heads), diced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled, quartered and diced
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1/4 cup vegan friendly dry white wine OR 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 6 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon thyme, roughly chopped
- Coarse salt, ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, carrots, and celery, cooking until somewhat softened and onion is starting to become translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, stirring frequently, and cook for 1 more minute, until fragrant.
- Add squash, cumin, and coriander. Cook until somewhat softened, about 5-10 minutes.
- Add the white wine and scrape up any browned bits on the bottom of the pot.
- Pour in broth. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover the pot, and cook 10-15 minutes, until vegetables are easily pierced with a fork.
- Remove cover. Stir in fresh herbs and lemon juice. Cook for two minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat. Use an immersion blender or transfer to a stand blender and blend until completely smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with a little cream swirl (non-vegan topping) if desired, a couple drops of olive oil, a little ground paprika, and fresh lemon thyme and parsley. Serve warm or chilled!
Traditional Chinese Nutritional Therapy
This nutritious hearty soup is filled with all the nutrients to strengthen the Heart and help prevent Heart disharmony.
Organs: Heart, Spleen, Liver
Celery: Clears Heat, Tonifies the Spleen and Stomach, Tonifies the Kidney, Tonifies Qi, Cools the Liver, Resolves Damp, Purifies the Blood, Calms Shen, Stops Bleeding. Squash Summer: Nourish Yin, Cools the body and inflammation, Relieves pain, Cultivates Qi, Carrot: Clears heat, Detoxifies, Strengthens all internal organs, Benefits the eyes, Relieves measles, Lubricates the intestines, Promotes digestion. Onion: Promotes the smooth flow of Qi, Regulates Blood, Resolve Phlegm and Dampness, Expel cold, Relax the intestines, Harmonize the stomach, Strengthen the spleen, Promote digestion. Garlic: Warm Yang, Promotes the Smooth Flow of Qi, Resolves Damp, Eliminates toxins, Calm Wind, Moisten the Lungs, Strengthen the Stomach, Warm the Middle Jiao. Eliminate Wind-Cold. Coriander: Promotes sweating. Removes rashes. Allows the release of toxicity from the surface. Detoxifies and eases pain, Strengthens digestion, Regulates Qi flow
James O’Sullivan - that's me, a people friendly practitioner and lecturer of Integrated Medicine, serving my patients, my students and the public with the positive benefits of both Conventional Western Medicine and Traditional Chinese Medicine. #jamushur It's a wonderful life
Disclaimer: This article is not intended to diagnose or assess. The information provided is not to be considered a substitute for consultation with a qualified health care practitioner.